Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day 60

The North Long Loop

It was a beautiful day in the Land of Enchantment.  After work with daylight saving time working in my favor, I grabbed the bicycle and headed north with Glass to document another set of acequias.  This time I went for the 7.7 mile loop that carries me as far north as Tinnin Farms and Chavez Road before curving south past Los Poblanos.  See The Goathead Report for details and most of the photos. 



Field of View

I've been wondering about the wide angle-ness of Glass for some time.  Today I thought I'd actually measure it's equivalent focal length for a 35 mm camera, a quantity that makes sense to me as a child of silver-based emulsions. 

By measuring the distance when a 4' horizontal subject just filled the field of view, I was able to compute the arctangent and convert it to degrees.  Wikipedia's article on angle of view had a convenient table that allowed me to estimate the equivalent focal length for both my Droid and Glass. 

Camera Focal length equiv FOV (degrees) Opposite Adjacent
Droid 45 46.2 48 46
Glass 30 61.1 48 26.5

Droid is only slightly wider than a "standard" 50mm lens when talking about 35mm film photography.  Glass on the other hand is the equivalent of a 30mm lens, which is fairly wide angle.  While good for scenics and close-ups, wide angle and even normal lenses are lousy for most people pictures. 

Time for me to design a telephoto adapter for Glass that will give me the equivalent of a 105 or 135mm lens, my favorite portrait and glamor focal length.  I'll need to make that video preview app, too, because a 135mm will be too hard to aim with just general direction of view. 



No comments:

Post a Comment