Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 67

 Why you should never leave your Glass behind

 As I walked over to the building next door in search of their Pepsi machine, I heard a strange "coo, coo" bird call.  It took a few moments to locate the source, a roadrunner (Geococcyx) up in one of the 15' pine trees at the south edge of the parking lot.  Every minute or so it would make a strange motion with its neck and repeat the soft "coo, coo" sounds a few times.  After hearing it, I'm more than convinced of the roadrunner's placement in the cuckoo family, the Cuculidae.  Of course, their 2+2 arrangement of toes is also a dead giveaway. 

Alas, in my haste, I did not don my set of Glass.  I could only capture the sound with the video camera on my Droid.  :-/

Wearable Technology for IAEA Safeguards

In the afternoon I learned from my manager that the process for submitting abstracts to IAEA for their October Symposium on Safeguards had been changed this year to include a requirement of a USG pre-review.  Abstracts have to be in by COB tomorrow. 

Hurry, hurry!  Scurry, scurry!  What a worry! 

In the end I had a reasonable 300 words describing our work with Glass and other mobile tech for on-site safeguards inspections.  That cut into my time for finishing my Prezi for INMM in Portland next month.  That paper and presentation are nearly ready for review. 

Google Auto-enhancements

Below is a shot of Bella lounging on her bed after Google did a strong enhancement of it. 
Compare with the unenhanced version...
I'm impressed.  I also liked the way the recent upgrade to KitKat bundled the photos into an album to reduce scrolling to find pictures. 

One more pair of images... enhanced yardscape under a flood light.
And the unenhanced version...
This time I might prefer the original.  Similar comparisons can be done with enhanced and unenhanced videos as well, but I'll save that for tomorrow or Friday. 





No comments:

Post a Comment