Thursday, February 20, 2014

Day 12

Thorsday

I was off to a good start with Glass this morning when, on the way to the office, I spotted a field with someone sitting in a lawn chair surrounded by geese and cranes.  I turned around and returned.  I parked some distance away so as not to scare the birds and approached on foot.



Turns out that the northward migrating Canada Geese and Sandhill Cranes had been stopping over in this field and the gentleman was feeding them each morning.  The result was being surrounded by birds.

I touched base with a friend and we phoned another friend in Vienna, Austria to wish him a belated happy birthday.  I then used Glass to take a couple happy snaps of her dogs before heading in to the office.


Today's food trucks were Hot Off the Press and Gedunk.  I had a Blue Oink, my favorite.

Tons of meetings this afternoon... conference call with sponsor at State Dept., distance learning meeting, a tour of our tech display area, and finally, submitting a proposal for next fall's R&D funds.

Interestingly, when I was invited to the distance learning meeting, I was told to wear Glass so that it could be an important part of the discussion.  My manager was also there and Glass definitely gives her the willies.  She had me take them off and get my regular Rx glasses despite the invitation to make Glass an important and obvious part of the meeting.  Curiously, she's the only one who reacts so strongly around Glass, an important data point.  I'm sensitive to wearing Glass in situations that would make one uncomfortable and they were fully powered off, but the meeting organizer had asked me to wear them.  It's interesting to see the range of response to Glass from "don't wear those things near me" to "that is so cool, show me more."  Far and away, the "tell me more" group is in the majority.  That said, my company needs to provide guidance and possibly training when Glass becomes widespread. 

In a final note, on the way home there were emergency lights ahead on the right shoulder as I passed the Louisiana exit on I-40 westbound.  It's obvious that Glass could be used for near-real time accident reporting.  Had it been something serious, it's possible that an emergency room doctor could have connected to me via Hangouts and provided lifesaving first aid information.


No comments:

Post a Comment