Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 20

Glass in the News

I see that the Washington Post has a piece today on what Glass is and is not.  In the comments was a link to an item titled "Five Google Glass #fails."  Glass continues to be a hot topic online and the buzz Google is generating is very impressive, even though there are detractors. 
Meanwhile, my old personal application for Glass from last summer has generated an invitation from Google to get my own pair.  Now I have the opportunity to purchase a privately owned set and turn my original set from November over to someone else at Sandia. 


I've continued chugging away through the Mirror API documentation and samples.  Between Tuesday and today a new version of the App Engine appears to have been released, so I've been futzing with downloading/upgrading that.  I think I'm just about ready to push something up to the Google Cloud for real-world testing. 

Camera Comparisons

During a brief interruption in my studies when Henry Cat jumped in my lap, I took advantage of the opportunity to use three different cameras that were within arms reach for a comparison. First is a photograph taken with my ASUS T700 tablet.  Most of the illumination is from a south-facing window off-camera to the left.  Nice color and sharpness, excellent exposure balance, good resolution. 

Next is a photo taken with my Droid MAXX.  The slightly different angle of view  means that this is mostly lit by reflected window light.  Still, color, sharpness, exposure balance, and resolution are good.

Finally, here's the picture taken with Glass. Henry moved during the shot, so there is some softness.  I had to get quite close to him because of Glass's short focal length (wide angle) lens.  Even so, it's an attractive photo with good color, sharpness, exposure balance, and resolution. 

I miss two thing about taking pictures with Glass:  One is the ability to shoot in portrait mode without twisting myself into a pretzel.  The other is some sort of zoom that will let me achieve at least a mild telephoto effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment