Monday, February 24, 2014

Day 16

Other 100 Days

Just a quick jot as Day 16 gets off to a start.  I should apologize to the others out there with other "100 Days of Glass" concepts.  Joshua Merrill wrote an insightful piece back in September about his first 100 days with Google Glass.  I must admit, Joshua hits it on the head with all his observations.    And Riz Nwosu suggested that if he had Glass, he would create a 100daysofglass blog.  I think the idea of passing Glass around to one new person per day would have stumbled on the fact that the Glass interface takes some time to get used to.  For the first few days (at least for me), I was quite clumsy.

I'll have the usual daily posting later.  Cheers!

Evening update

Its been a quiet day for Glass.  I did some experimenting with image and data transfers between my ASUS T700 and Glass via the micro USB cable in the absence of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. More on that tomorrow.

Lunch was supposed to be a lobster poorboy from the Maine Lobster Truck, but only the Soobak Korean Seoul Food truck was there.  Excellent tempura avocado tacos. 

Later after the computer support tech helped me out with a Free BSD server problem, I had a great conversation with a former student of mine, now working in a sister department.  Amazingly, he's probably the last guy on the floor to find out that I have Glass.  

His favorite use case:  while on travel (and his group is 100% overseas road warriors), use Hangouts to connect back to his family and kids to share with them the places he travels to.  He would never pull out a cellphone in downtown Rotterdam and Skype back home as he walked around, but with Glass, he could share the details while seeing them in the Glass display. 

Their team has an iPad app for Wi-Fi surveys of the harbor facilities where they set up systems.  We're wondering how hard it would be to port that app from Objective C to Java...

Tomorrow, I tuck into the online reference material.  My goal, by Friday develop a real-world Glass app for arms control and treaty compliance verification. 

Stay tuna'd. 



No comments:

Post a Comment