Thursday, February 27, 2014

Day 19

Still Banging my Head against the Keyboard

The morning was spent trying to get Eclipse Indigo to pick up the Glass Sneak Peak from the Android SDK.  It's probably something simple, but despite installing 4.0.3 aka API 15 and running Indigo aka version 3.7, I've not been able to find a way to open the Compass sample for Glass.  :-(
My only consolation is that I've gotten the Mirror API to work and have made some small progress there. 

Of course, with my head stuck in the computer, I spend precious little time with Glass on.  However, this afternoon there was a reason to get in to the office.  In the parking lot our newly promoted Distinguished Member of Technical Staff noticed my Glass and wants a demo.  We were headed in opposite directions, so that will have to wait until next week. 

On the way through our downstairs technology training and display area, I took a couple of quick snaps, since the lighting was excellent.  Here's our biosafety and security lab.  Lots of applications for hands-free training videos and demonstrations of techniques via Hangouts here. 

And here's our display of handheld radiation detectors.  Note the manikin with the chest-mounted portable system.  Seems like Glass could replace the audible or handheld meter with a heads-up display that would really reduce the size of the package and increase its utility. 

But the real reason for abandoning my work with Glass was to be part of Manuel's retirement celebration.  Here a serious Manuel gets captured by my Droid's camera. 

Afterwards, everyone adjourned to Two Fool's Tavern.  There I was careful to ask the woman checking IDs at the door if Glass was OK in the pub.  She assured me it was fine and so I settled in to wait for the others with a black and tan.  

The rest of the gang turned up and we had a fine time.  Glass didn't handle the low light combined with subjects who often moved.  

But I'll always remember Manuel and his wife this way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment